Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October 7

Matt is answering the following questions that I asked:


1)  How was your Conference Weekend?

2)  How was the Shiprock Fair from what you could tell?  I hope it didn't conflict too much with you, the members and your investigators.

3)  You said that you have a washing machine in your trailer, so are you in your new trailer in Shiprock or are the missionaries in Kirtland in a trailer?  Are there any apartments in Shiprock and Kirtland?

4)  How do you pronounce the Navajo word for white people?

-------------------------------------

1) Conference was amazing. President Uchtdorf's talks always leave me ringing with hope and spiritual healing, but I also really enjoyed Elder Dyches' talk that focused on Jesus Christ and the painting by Carl Bloch, Elder Bednar is one of my favorite speakers in the way he organizes his talks so I really enjoyed his, but I don't pay tithing as a missionary since I don't earn any money, I liked Elder Ballard's talk since it was all about missionary work, and every talk was great I can't even decide.
2) We only went to it for like an hour and a half on Friday night, but it was pretty crazy! Traffic on Saturday was terrible, but we just stayed holed up in the church all day and we got to the church taking a bunch of back dirt roads which was not a problem at all. Driving on dirt roads is super relaxing and fun, in all honesty! I'll need to come down after my mission to experience the Shiprock Fair.
3) We are still living in Kirtland for now, but we will hopefully be moving back to Shiprock within the next week or two! The Kirtland place is a trailer. There are some apartments in Shiprock but you have to be Navajo or work for the tribe/government to live in them and I'm not sure if there are apartments in Kirtland. I haven't noticed any! Pretty much everything out here is either trailers or houses.
4) Bil-li-ghaa-na, if you google the Navajo alphabet it should have sounds for each of the letters and vowels pretty much. Navajo is pretty straight forward to read after you figure out what sound all of the vowels make and it's actually easier than English. An "a" in English can have four different sounds, in Navajo it is just one. Keep a list of any Navajo words you want me to say and I'll say them on Skype/phone on Christmas!
I grabbed the sheet music for I Am A Child of God in Navajo and I hope I can perform it alright in two years! The colors haven't changed too much down here, but it sure is starting to get cold at night! It is freezing every morning and warms up quite a bit in the afternoon. Monsoon season is now over, so no more rain over the past week. 
No flu shots yet, I'm not sure what the usual procedure is. I've been doing pretty well! A little bit of allergies here and there and some stuffy noses, but nothing I can't handle.
Conference really was so great, this is probably the first time I have intently watched every talk and genuinely enjoyed and each one! The sad part about that is that I know that is my own fault, not the fault of the speakers. I wish more people watched and appreciated General Conference! It is such a fantastic opportunity to received revelation.
I love you all too!
Regards and love,
Elder Schaelling

No comments:

Post a Comment