Thursday, December 4, 2014

November 17

1) Did you get Gentry & Holly's wedding announcement?
2) Were the cookies I sent you last Monday edible?
3) I sent another small package and a card on Thursday.  Have you gotten them yet?
4) Did winter arrive this week for you also?
5) Is your trailer warm enough?
6) Do you need me to send anything like a space heater, blankets, more warm clothes or anything?
7) How was church today?  Were your investigators able to come again?
8) Is Nelia the lady that you kind of "happened" upon that had fallen and you gave a blessing to and helped her get back in her chair?
9) Are the Gruettes Navajo?  What takes them back and forth between Bluff and Mancos, CO?

-----------------------

Mom,

1) Yes, I sure did! That's exciting. I thought he was getting married pretty quick, but then I realized that he's been back from his mission for about a year and a half so I guess he's not too crazy.
2) They sure were! They were fantastic. I was able to take them to district meeting on Thursday and shared them with my district and they loved them. One of the sister missionaries took the whole bag of chocolate cookies though, haha.
3) I did get them, thank you for the CD and card! And thank you for the card that was talking about Cottonwood Steakhouse. Cottonwood actually closes down for the winter because the tourists slow down in Bluff but I'm sure Elder Vicnesky and I can enjoy something in Farmington next Monday when we go. 
4) Yes, there was snow in the southern portion of our area Saturday night/Sunday morning and I got to see it yesterday because the portions that were in shaded areas hadn't melted yet. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures because I didn't have my camera. The reservation is so pretty in the wintertime with the snow, in my opinion. 
5) Yes, it is great.
6) No, I should be okay. I might need a few more pairs garments, both regular and thermal, but I'll get back to you on that.
7) Church was great, I stayed in Bluff yesterday and one of our new investigators on date game to church. Her name is Briannon and her fiance is a member and he is Kervyn and they live here in Bluff but they are Navajo. We set three people on date this week, Briannon for the 27th of December and a man named Wilbur for the same day and another lady named Janine for January 3rd! Unfortunately, Tiffany didn't make it to church so she may or may not make her date for the 29th of this month, but we'll see. She left Ganado back to Bluff late because she was cleaning up after her and her husband's wedding reception yesterday at her parents' place. 
8) She sure is! She is such a special lady. She drove herself to church again yesterday because her grandson Cody wasn't really around. We also just got a bunch headsets for all the Navajo speakers so that Sister Clark can translate and up to six people can listen to her in Navajo while the services are being conducted in English. 
9) Nope, but they both grew up on the reservation. Sister Gruette's father had a few trading posts and Brother Gruette was on the reservation for other reasons, but I can't remember. They just like the climate in the varying places better at those times of the year, I believe.

It has been another wonderful week in Bluff. We have been walking and biking a lot more to save miles as much as possible. This past week we were able to have interviews with President Batt and it is always a great opportunity to sit down and talk with him and also with Sister Batt. Also a cool yet somewhat small spiritual experience that I have had this week is with 2 Nephi regarding the Isaiah chapters. I started the Book of Mormon over a couple of weeks ago and as I was approaching the Isaiah chapters I was pondering just skipping over them to the end of 2 Nephi because the past couple of times I've read through them I didn't catch much and I'm trying to pace myself through the Book of Mormon so that I can finish it relatively quickly and get a good overview of the entire book but I decided not to and it was amazing that as I read through it this time I have actually understood a lot and been able to learn a lot more. I know that it is because of my increased spiritual sensitivity that has come through daily obedience and prayer and especially as I pondered upon the scriptures that I was reading along with prayer. I'm grateful for the scriptures and the beauty that they have brought into my life! One of my recent favorite passages I have come across recently is 2 Nephi 1:15 - "But behold, the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love." What a beautiful passage. I know that as we seek His Love, we will find it. Within His holy word and through His chosen servants, and especially within His house, the temple. As it invites also in 2 Nephi 12:3, "Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths." I love the Lord, and I am so grateful for the gospel and the truths and peace that comes from honest, daily study in the scriptures. 

I love you all!

Elder Schaelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment