Wednesday, May 27, 2015

May 18

Mom,
I'm glad you got my Mother's Day letter! Thank goodness for scripture markers haha.
We have gotten some pretty weak rain down here the past few days, it was overcast and kind of gloomy for a few days but the rain was really just a continuous sprinkle, not a real rain.
Good to hear that everyone enjoyed Star Wars! As much as I love Star Wars, I really haven't watched them in a long time so it would be nice to watch them again with you in preparation for Episode 7. It was pretty shocking to me when I heard that the new one wasn't coming out in May because that is the month that all the other six ones came out in! But it's okay that they broke tradition because now I'll be home for it. There are gospel principles within the Star Wars saga. I've heard from my companions about how much of the gospel is in Lord of the Rings, but I never got into those movies so maybe I'll have to try again when I get home.
Sounds interesting! Yeah, Envision Utah would be related to public policy. Public policy is basically law writing and policy making. So if one worked in a public policy research organization, he or she would presumably research things in their specialty, whether that be healthcare policy or transportation policy, etc. Yeah, I'm still interested but I have no idea what will really happen.
Jacinta is doing great! She came to church yesterday with her two daughters and when we asked her how she has been enjoying church she said, "I love it. I feel great afterwards. I think I need it more like two or three times a week rather than just the once!" Haha. We have a new investigator named Austin who is the boyfriend of Jeremey's step-daughter. He has come to church with the family the past three weeks, but always leaves after sacrament so we are trying to get him to stay. (That is the biggest problem, people always leave after sacrament so we are trying so hard to get people to stay!) He's an awesome investigator though, he lost his belief in God due to some bad experiences with his family, but feels the need for something in his life and he is about 18 years old or so and is really interested in learning more, we taught him 4 times this past week! It's so cool because whenever we ask him,  "When can we come back to see you?" he says, "What time are you free tomorrow?" or something rather than waiting until the next week so he has a strong desire to learn!
Another cool experience was when we took out a recent convert with us to a lesson. We took Bob (the RC) to see Bennie (the investigator) because they are both older and retired and we taught Bennie about the Plan of Salvation and Bob was so powerful at the end when he invited Bennie to church on Sunday! He said, "Bennie, I want you to come to church with us this Sunday because it is really just a wonderful place and the spirituality of this church is something that I have never found or seen before! I will be waiting for you at the door and if you come it would be such a pleasure to have you sit by me. The people there at the LDS Church here in Grants are really unlike any other I've met, they are some of the most wonderful and godly people I have ever run into!" Bob is so amazing at how bold he is. He made me think of a verse in Romans, chapter 1 verse 16: " For I am not ashamed of the gospel ofChrist: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth" I could see that Bob was not ashamed of the gospel of Christ in his invitation. Unfortunately, Bennie didn't come to church yesterday. But Bob succeeded, because he was willing to invite! And I can promise that Bob felt the Spirit in his life because he was willing to invite, just like it talks about in The Power of Everyday Missionaries. We succeed when we invite, regardless of the outcome.
Good job at all your awesome fellowshipping with Carola! Keep it up, mom! You're a rock star!
Did you get a J-Dawg while at BYU?
Sounds like a lot of missionary stuff going on in the homeward, that's always good to hear!
Yes, I got the package. Thank you!
I love you all!
Elder Schaelling

No comments:

Post a Comment