Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February 10

My questions for Matt:
1) How did transfers affect you?
2) How are your investigators doing?
3) How many youth are there in your Branch?
4) What kind of jobs do the people in Steamboat have?
5) How long is the drive to Ganado where the Post Office is?

-------------------------

Mom,

Sounds like you had quite the experience traveling! I can't imagine being stuck in airports for so long and having to do so much continual rescheduling to go help Jackie. I'm glad all turned out well in the end now and you did make it safely home. That's hilarious that Spencer rode the carousel 14 times in a row with another one for good measure! What an awesome kid. 

I am a little bummed I'm missing the Winter Olympics, I think I'm going to get into winter sports a little more when I get home. I want to get into skiing more. Russia sounds like an awesome place to have the Olympics, I've caught a glimpse of the events here and there as we stop by a handful of people's houses who have the games on. They look cool!

1) Elder Vicznesky is being moved to Fort Defiance and I am picking up a brand new missionary in the morning! President Batt called on Saturday morning to ask if I would be willing to train in Steamboat and I accepted the calling, I sure hope I can manage to keep the new elder and myself busy enough to help him adjust to missionary life here in the small community of Steamboat! We are driving up to Farmington in a couple of hours so we can spend the night up there because I have to pick him up at 7:15. I wont know his name until then when President Batt announces which trainee will go with which trainer/area. I'm excited! It should be a cool experience to be able to be with a brand new missionary.
2) Our investigators are doing pretty well! It is amazing to be in such a small branch/area but to still see how the Lord does prepare individuals to receive the gospel and it truly does build my testimony that the Lord is in all places -- even in little towns like Steamboat! We have a lot of people that are looking pretty promising, we just have to organize having Navajo speakers and male members with us for the lessons. I'll keep you guys updated!
3) There are four young men and three young women that are active or semi active, there are some others in the area that we are hoping to either reactivate or commit to be baptized! The main area that is lacking is the young adult age group, like 18 to 30 year olds. There are only two members that age that are active but unfortunately everyone else is either under 15 years old or over 40 pretty much. 
4) People all over the reservation usually work for the tribe or the schools or the variety of small stores and trading posts. Some areas have power plants or oil fields that people work at, but there's not really any too close to Steamboat. Most everyone is retired or just lives off the land and herds sheep.
5) Ganado is about a 25 minute drive or so.


Happy Valentine's day to you all! I love you all very much.

With Love and Regards,
Elder Schaelling

No comments:

Post a Comment