Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February 17

Hello everyone!

It was fun to learn about Matt's new companion.

Just a couple of reminders.  Anyone can e-mail Matt at matthew.schaelling@mylds.mail.net.  A few years ago there was a rule that only immediate family could e-mail missionaries, but anyone can now.  Also, as Matt mentioned a few weeks ago, the U.S. Postal Service won't forward their mail from the mission office in Farmington, NM anymore so we need to mail things directly to him now.  The Post Office assures us that their change-of address system will keep up with the missionaries transfers.  I will do my best to keep you up to date.

His current mailing address while he's in Steamboat, AZ is:

Elder Matthew Paul Schaelling
P.O. Box 681
Ganado, AZ  86505


------------------------------------

Mom,

Thank you very much! I'm glad that you guys got the photo of us just fine. His name is Elder Aguilera and he is from Houston, Texas but grew up in Chicago, Illinois until he was a senior in high school. He is Mexican and speaks fluent Spanish and his mission call was originally to the Brazil Belo Horinzonte Mission but he couldn't get his visa by the end of his MTC stay so he is here in Steamboat serving until he gets his visa. Visa waiters sometimes stay in the mission anywhere from 6 weeks to 9 or 12 months! He's enjoying Steamboat though, but he said it is a pretty big culture shock for him. It's also interesting because most of his church experience has been in a Spanish ward at home so he didn't even have a set of scriptures in English when I got him, only Spanish and Portuguese! He's an awesome guy and is very spiritual. So far we have been doing pretty well here in Steamboat! We found six new investigators this week which is a lot for such a tiny area. I've had a few really spiritual experiences this week: first, we met a new guy named Pat on Saturday. He is so awesome, and apparently his daughter is a member of the church out near Gallup. I've really been trying to learn how to follow the spirit as I guide the missionary work here in Steamboat, so I have been very seriously praying for revelation from Heavenly Father on what to do each day and one of the names I thought of was this guy with the last name of Begay. I couldn't even remember his first name and I've never met him but I felt like we should go see him, so later that day we drove to where he lives and the dirt road turn off to his house was locked and we almost didn't go, but then I remembered that there was a back road that went to his area about 3/4 of a mile down the highway. So we took that road and on our way we saw a hoghan with the door open and we stopped by and Pat invited us right in! He was so nice and Elder Aguilera and I truly taught with power and by the spirit. We used the Book of Mormon to address his concerns and it was just amazing to see how everything in relation to us finding him and teaching him was guided by the spirit. It is also a miracle because it is so hard to find adult males to teach here in Steamboat, because we can't meet with females or children without an adult male present. He is so cool and we have a return appointment on Tuesday! Our investigator Molly also brought two of her grandsons to church yesterday and they were the only youth there yesterday and we taught them the plan of salvation (one of them had lost his mom a few years before) and it was so awesome just to be teaching two young investigators for Sunday School and then we played hangman and one of the words I did was "baptism" and they both said they wanted to be baptized so we watched the Bible Video of Christ's Baptism and showed them the baptismal font! They are awesome kids. Lastly, this week I have truly gained strength from the scriptures. There have been moments when I am having struggles but it has been amazing how I'll turn to the Book of Mormon during my personal study and happen to find chapters that truly bring healing to my heart. That is one thing I am so grateful for that I am learning on my mission, is to learn how I can truly turn to the Lord to help me with any of my needs and problems! It's so interesting, before my mission if I was feeling down or something I would have watched a movie or gone somewhere on campus or gone out with some friends to eat or something, but now I am truly learning to turn to the Lord in all things that I do. It feels amazing, I must say. One other verse that really hit me was 1 Nephi 15:11. It was quoted and discussed in an article in the Ensign about shunning temptation and receiving revelation. What an awesome verse.

I can't believe I missed our Stake Conference with an apostle! When was the last time that happened for our stake? I can't remember a single time! Yah de lah! (That's a expression of exasperation in Navajo.) Oh well, someday I'll get to hear an apostle speak in person again. I can't wait for General Conference in just a month and a half! 

I love you all! Thank you so much for all the support. It always brightens my day whenever I hear from any of you back home.

With Love and Regards,
Elder Schaelling

No comments:

Post a Comment