Wednesday, March 5, 2014

February 25

Mom,


That's pretty awesome that I got to meed Elder Holland when I was younger! It's too bad I didn't understand how unique that was at the time. Erin Allred had Elder Holland come speak to her mission down in Chile just a month or two ago, she's so lucky! Oh well, perhaps another time in another year. Our stake center is in Chinle, Arizona which is just north east of here. 

Things are going well for Elder Aguilera and I have been ever more aware of my weaknesses now that I am training a new missionary. I really want to try to show him how to be a "perfect missionary," but I still need a lot of growth and understanding personally with a lot of areas! I know that the next two months will be filled with a lot of growth and learning for me, and I hope it can be the same way for him. Missionary work sure isn't as straightforward as I sometimes thought it was back at home! Our return appointment went well with Pat, we haven't met with him since last Tuesday though. We found him last Saturday and set a time up with him this morning but he wasn't around. Hopefully we'll find him in the next couple of days! One of her grandsons came to church but the other one was feeling a little sick so he stayed home, but Molly is really encouraging them to learn more about the gospel because she says, "It's so much easier to learn and understand this when you are young." She's such an awesome lady.

One thing that I can't help but think often times when I read the example of Nephi in comparison to Laman and Lemuel is really how often I can be like them. Sometimes it's hard to be so steadfast in the faith as Nephi is! It's easy to see the faults of Laman and Lemuel because in the course of a few verses or a chapter or two they will go from seeing a miracle and being convinced to "keep the commandments of the Lord" but then they will fall into their previous ways. It seems absurd when the change happens in three verses, but if you think about the fact that their journey was 7 years from Jerusalem to when they began their sea voyage then it causes me to wonder sometimes who's to say that there wasn't quite a bit more time than we think before events. If I decided to have faith in God that he will guide us to a promised land but then in a year, or even a month from now I am still walking with my family in the desert packing a tent along with me I think I would start to murmur too! I see it in myself as a missionary sometimes. It's a growing process for all of us! 

Sometimes so much happens in a week as a missionary I don't even know what to tell you guys. We met some really cool people just down the street from the church this week. Their names are Paul and Helen and we knocked into them two Saturdays ago and Paul wasn't too interested, but said we could come by again some weekday evening. So we stopped by last Wednesday and he said that it wasn't a good time for them but we talked to him for a minute anyways then we saw that he was going to bring some wood in so we offered to help him split some wood! We chopped with him for maybe 20 minutes and then he said, "How long does it take for you guys to do your preaching? I want you guys to come in and share something with us." So we said anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes, whatever they'd like, and we ended up talking to them for an hour! They were both school teachers and were awesome people haha. It just shows how service can show people that you love them and how it really does open hearts and doors! 

That's legit that Jaymee and Lauren are both in the primary presidency back at home! I had never heard of young single adults being involved with callings like that! Hope all goes well for them.

I love you all! Thank you so much for the love and support you all show me, it really helps me out. It's always nice to hear from you all back at home. Hope everything continues to go well for you all! 

With Love and Regards,
Elder Schaelling

No comments:

Post a Comment