Wednesday, March 26, 2014

March 24

My questions:
1) Did transfers affect you and/or Elder Aguilera?  Be sure to give me your new address if you are being transferred.
2) Were you able to mail your taxes?
3) Did your thin mint cookies make it to you?
4) Would you like any food items mailed to you?
5) Have you learned anything about the Senior Missionary couple that will come after the Pattersons leave?
6) You mentioned that President Yazzie is building a new hogan now.  Is that for him to live in?  I see several regular homes around the church on google maps, but do some people still live in hogans?


-----------------------

Mom,

I've been thinking of Meme and other family members a lot because we've been doing some family history work. Why is it that when I go on familysearch.org Grandma's family history isn't on there? Is there any way you guys could fix that for me? I want to make a four-generation pedigree with pictures of everyone but I don't really have any resources down here.

That's awesome that you were able to attend a caucus meeting! I am assuming you read the article in the Ensign back in February (I think) that was about being informed and involved.
Molly hasn't been able to listen to the tapes yet. We took the tape that has most of 3 Nephi on it to her last week but she said she didn't have a tape player so yesterday we took her a tape player from the church for her to borrow. We'll see how it goes! It's pretty hard. She's changed a lot since she decided not to be baptized. Serafin did attend church yesterday, but I think it is kind of different for him still. I payed more attention and tried to see church through his eyes since he can't understand Navajo and realized that probably the only class he can understand at all is Elder's Quorum because Elder Patterson teaches that, but the EQ class is pretty small and is focused all on latter-day prophets so I think it's pretty foreign to him. He can't really understand Sunday School about the Old Testament because President Yazzie taught it the past two weeks and it is mostly in Navajo. Serafin is kind of uncomfortable about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon and I realized church is probably weird for him too because that's all he hears about in the parts he can understand.
1) Nope, both of us are staying in Steamboat! 
2) Not yet, I am in St. Michaels today so I plan on mailing those out today. 
3) Yes they did! Thank you so much! I have been enjoying them very much.
4) You can send me some food if you'd like. I can't really think of anything that I'd need too badly. One thing that I could use is Illustrated Stories from the Book of Mormon picture book. 
5) Their last name is Harris and they are from Lehi, Utah I think. That's about it, but they should get here a week from today or tomorrow!
6) Not really. Most people here live in trailers or in small homes, but a lot of them have a hogan right next to their home either for ceremonial purposes or just to have for family gatherings and even storage. Some people do still live in hogans though, but not a ton. Hogans are pretty nice though! They are a lot bigger inside than they would look from the outside.
I love you all and hope that things go well this week with the Phillipps and Norris families! Thank you for your prayers and support!
With love and regards,
Elder Schaelling

No comments:

Post a Comment