Monday, July 7, 2014

June 16

Mom,
I am doing great! Nothing changed, Elder Aguilera and I are staying together for a fourth transfer! I am very surprised, I thought I was for sure going to be moved haha. I even bought less food than I usually do at the beginning of the month so we came to Window Rock this p-day so I can go get a few things at Bashas. However, I did get a call from President Batt to serve as the district leader for our district here. It is Steamboat, Ganado, and Fort Defiance.
no prairie dog roast yet. The word for prairie dog in Navajo is "glǫǫ' ." Perhaps we'll get with President Yazzie next p-day and roast with him.
That's awesome you were able to go see Kaleb give his homecoming talk! I hear some crazy stories about the church in Africa. I once heard a story about a very large group of people who had essentially an entire stake or something of the sort organized that met under the name "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" and had purchased all the necessary supplies from the church to run meetings and whatnot without an official church presence. The church later came to the area and ordained the men so they could officially become a stake of Zion and have the priesthood and whatnot. Amazing! I can't imagine those stories like Kaleb shared either, it is truly amazing that people would have such a strong testimony especially before truly receiving the long-lasting fruits of the Gospel that are born further down the road of discipleship.
This week we had a mission tour with Elder Carlson of the Seventy and his wife. Almost half of the mission gathered in Chinle on Friday (the other half gathered in Farmington the day before) and we got to be instructed by him and Sister Carlson, along with President and Sister Batt. It is so nice to be able to see them. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be in this mission that is lead by President and Sister Batt and for the love that they so fully show to us. Elder Carlson was a four-star general in the Air Force and was a really awesome guy! He is even a convert to the church. He was pretty funny and spoke to us about many things, but one thing that he spoke about was D&C 88:36-39:
 36 All kingdoms have a law given;
 37 And there are many kingdoms; for there is no space in the which there is no kingdom; and there is no kingdom in which there is no space, either a greater or a lesser kingdom.
 38 And unto every kingdom is given a law; and unto every law there are certain bounds also and conditions.
 39 All beings who abide not in those conditions are not justified.
He spoke about how only by obedience can we become justified in our current state and rise to the next kingdom (which I like to think of as a state of being). Only by obedience to the Lord can we rise from the current fallen, carnal state, to a telestial state to a terrestial state to a celestial state, etc. It does make sense, as I have progressed in my spiritual development and become "justified" in my current state and risen to the next kingdom I have felt how the weaknesses or worries of my previous state no long effect me. Just an interesting thought. 
President Batt spoke about "leaving and believing" with our current investigators who aren't progressing. If they aren't keeping their commitments to read, to pray, to attend church, etc., then they aren't progressing and they aren't ready at this moment in time. Even, he said, when we do stop teaching those investigators they will often realize the spirit missing from their life as  we aren't visiting them as often anymore and they will then sometimes chose to keep their commitments. We then had a lesson with Brother Joseph on Saturday about us not teaching him anymore since he hasn't attended church and he came yesterday! I hope it went well for him. We'll hopefully see him tonight. 
Things are pretty awesome in Steamboat. I like this place a lot. It's so relaxing. I feel like it's the small chill beach town of the reservation where everyone is funny and everyone knows each other.
With Much Love,
Elder Schaelling

No comments:

Post a Comment